From: Scott Atchley (atchley_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-08-13 08:54:08

On Aug 13, 2007, at 4:06 AM, Pavel Shamis (Pasha) wrote:

>>> Any objections? We can discuss what approaches we want to take
>>> (there's going to be some complications because of the PML driver,
>>> etc.); perhaps in the Tuesday Mellanox teleconf...?
>>>

>> My main objection is that the only reason you propose to do this
>> is some
>> bogus benchmark?
>>
> Pallas, Presta (as i know) also use static rank. So lets start to fix
> all "bogus" benchmarks :-) ?
>
> Pasha.

Why not:

    for (i=0; i < ITERATIONS; i++) {
       tag = i%MPI_TAG_UB;
    }

On a related note, we have often discussed the fact that benchmarks
only give an upper-bound on performance. I would expect that some
users would want to also know the lower-bound. For example, set a
flag that causes the benchmark to use a different buffer each time in
order to cause the registration cache to miss. I am sure we could
come up with some other cases.

Scott