From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-27 12:40:50

It's been finalized: Coverity has formally joined the Open MPI
Project as a Partner (OMPI web page updates will come soon). They
will be running the Open MPI source code base through their tools on
a regular basis and making the results available to Members of the
Open MPI project.

The scans will initially be the v1.2 branch and trunk nightly
tarballs, and will likely start soon (possibly as early as next
week). We'll be working with Coverity to fully exploit the use of
their tools as our familiarity/expertise grows.

A glance through a preliminary Coverity scan of the OMPI v1.2 code
base shows three main kinds of problems:

1. corner cases not handled properly when errors occur at run time.
It's unsurprising that these cases are buggy since these run-time
errors probably have not occurred much in practice.

2. some false positives (or perhaps I'm just not understanding the
results...?).

3. genuine problems/bugs.

I think the use of these tools will be a great help to hardening the
Open MPI code base.

Woo hoo!

On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:10 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Yes, we have (someone else brought it to our attention a few months
> ago). :-)
>
> Hopefully we'll have more news on this front in the not-distant
> future.
>

> On Jul 19, 2007, at 9:07 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>
>> Have any of you ever consider asking OpenMPI being included here, as
>> it is an open source project?
>>
>> http://scan.coverity.com/index.html
>>
>>> From many sources (mainly related to Python), it seems the results
>>> are