From: Tim Prins (tprins_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-07-11 08:43:56

<moving this to devel, as it really belongs there>
Scott Atchley wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2007, at 3:24 PM, Tim Prins wrote:

>>> To clarify, MX_RCACHE=1 is the default.
>> It would be good for the default to be something where there is no
>> warning
>> printed (i.e. 0 or 2). I see the warning on the current trunk.
>>
>> Tim
>
> After further discussion in-house, the warning can be avoided if -
> lmyriexpress is included when linking the app (i.e. if it is in mpicc
> when linking).
We cannot do this since we create network agnostic executables so that
users can select networks at runtime. Doing -lmyriexpress would put an
artificial dependency on the myrinet library, even if the user does not
want to use it.

> Another clarification, the regache does work with several replacement
> malloc libraries. If the user application overloads mmap(), munmap()
> and sbrk(), then it may or may not work. In this case, the user
> should use MX_RCACHE=0.
This sounds to me like a lot to ask the user to do...

My opinion is that if MX_RCACHE is not explicitly set by the user, Open
MPI should set it to either 0 or 2 automatically. An explicit goal Open
MPI is for it to automatically do the right thing in most cases. Letting
a ton of warnings be spit out at the user, in my opinion, is the wrong
thing.

Tim