From: Brian Barrett (bbarrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-29 14:15:02

On May 29, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> and if you see environ undefined, identify which library
> it is in and which object file it came from. I would also
> note that my patch reveals that several instances of the
> environ variable being declared that are missing the Windows
> wrappers. So if anything, adding the Darwin patch will
> increase the probability that both targets are properly
> maintained.

Yes, there are significant portions of the code base that are "Unix-
only" and not built on Windows. There are regular builds of Open MPI
on Windows to ensure that problems are quickly resolved when they
creep into the code base. The places where the Windows environ fixes
are missing are likely that way because they are in parts of the code
that doesn't build on Windows.

As I've said, I'd be happy to commit a Mac OS X-specific fix for the
environ problem if we can find a test case where it fails without the
fix. I'm not going to commit portability fixes to Open MPI for a
problem that we can't replicate. Based on what Peter said on the
apple list, there is no problem with having an undefined symbol in a
shared library (other than the fact that *that* shared library must
be built with a flat namespace). I'm working with someone here to
get ParaView built on my Mac so I can trace down the problem and
figure out if Open MPI is responsible for the missing symbol.

Brian