From: Brian Barrett (bbarrett_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-28 16:58:06

On May 28, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Jack Howarth wrote:

> On MacOS X, the current v1.1.5 and v1.2.2 sources for openmpi
> create shared libraries with undefined environ symbols. This
> problem on MacOS X and the available workarounds are discussed
> on the fink wiki section on Porting Notes...

I understand the problem, but am curious how you are running into
it. Open MPI's shared libraries are built with a flat namespace and
undefined errors suppressed. An application will always have environ
defined, so this could only happen when linking a dynamic library
against the Open MPI libraries. When testing this, however, I wasn't
able to have create a situation where the linker complained that
environ wasn't defined unless the new (MPI-using) library also
included environ. Do you have an example where Open MPI using
environ causes problems? If so, could you send the link command and
output from this error? Or even better, a test case?

While I agree that long term this wouldn't be a bad thing to fix, I
really hate making OS-specific hacks in the Open MPI source code if
we don't absolutely have to.

Thanks,

Brian

--