From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-05-23 15:11:54

Attached is another patch to the ORTE layer, more specifically the
replica. The idea is to decrease the number of strcmp by using a
small hash function before doing the strcmp. The hask key for each
registry entry is computed when it is added to the registry. When
we're doing a query, instead of comparing the 2 strings we first
check if the hash key match, and if they do match then we compare the
2 strings in order to make sure we eliminate collisions from our
answers.

There is some benefit in terms of performance. It's hardly visible
for few processes, but it start showing up when the number of
processes increase. In fact the number of strcmp in the trace file
drastically decrease. The main reason it works well, is because most
of the keys start with basically the same chars (such as orte-
blahblah) which transform the strcmp on a loop over few chars.

Ralph, please consider it for inclusion on the ORTE layer.

   Thanks,
     george.