From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-04-18 13:16:54

That's right, long and int have the same size on Windows 32 and 64
bits (always 32 bits). However, they are considered as being
different types (!!!).

The main problem came from the fact that if we want to use our
modular approach on Windows (DLL loaded at runtime) we have to
compile in C++ mode. The C++ compiler consider the types int and long
as being different (even if they have the same number of bytes). No
implicit cast is allowed by the VC compiler when in C++ mode.
Therefore, we have to force an explicit cast everywhere.

   george.