From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-06 09:29:42

Unfortunately, MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE has never received a lot of
testing in any version of OMPI (including v1.1). Various members
tested the bozo cases (e.g., ensure we don't double lock, etc.), and
periodically tested/debugged simple multi-threaded apps, but not much
more than that.

As such, it's probably pretty lucky that v1.1 works with
THREAD_MULTIPLE. Indeed, v1.2 has changed quite a bit since v1.2,
and only the same level of THREAD_MULTIPLE testing has occurred (so
far) -- checking for the bozo cases.

We do expect to improve this over the next several months; as Tim
mentioned, for the v1.3 timeframe.

On Mar 6, 2007, at 9:06 AM, Bert Wesarg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this is realy sad, version 1.1.2 works quite good with threads
> (multiple
> threads which starts mpi requests), only 1 of 10 (or even less)
> kills with
> a SIGSEGV. And this this simple test program works even longer.
>
> Bert
>
> Tim Mattox wrote:
>> Hi Bert Wesarg,
>> Thank you for your quick testing of 1.2rc1. 1.2 is expected to
>> fail when
>> using MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE. I suspect that a working and tested
>> MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE will be one of our goals for 1.3.
>>
>> On 3/6/07, Bert Wesarg <wesarg_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I followed the call to test the rc1, but a simple test programm
>>> hangs, but
>>> non deterministic. all but one orted have quit. but no cpu eating
>>> from
>>> orted or mpirun.
>>>
>>> The test system is a xeon cluster with myrinet interconnect.
>>>
>>> the outouts are splited into two mails (100kb limit)
>>>
>>> Bert Wesarg

Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems