From: Karl Dockendorf (karld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-02-19 09:00:13

all,

I thought I might pass along information on mpicc integration into
Xcode (I currently use v2.3 and have not tested this on other
versions). Xcode has a compiler specification interface that --
according to what ever internet websites exist on .pbcompspec files
-- has not been released to the public. Needless to say, one nights
worth of rooting around in xcode compiler specification files led me
to try this simple interface file. Which, amazingly enough, works on
my system (Mac OS 10.4.8). Attached is the file "MPICC.pbcompspec"
that should be placed in the "/Library/Application Support/Apple/
Developer Tools/Specifications" directory. Upon starting Xcode this
file is loaded and added to the list of compilers it knows about.

To use the mpicc compiler, open your project, get info on your
target, click the rules tab, and add a new entry. Change the process
rule for "C source files" and select using "MPICC". No more custom
build scripts or changing linking flags with new mpi versions :)

A few caveats. In the file, the ExecPath parameter should be set to
the location of your mpicc install. A little more complicated issue
is that the BasedOn parameter should -- probably -- refer to the gcc
compiler version that mpicc calls. (My system uses gcc-4.0.)

I hope this helps anyone who's interested.

Karl Dockendorf
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Biomedical Engineering
University of Florida