From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-06 09:38:25

On 9/6/06 9:05 AM, "Ralf Wildenhues" <Ralf.Wildenhues_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> I was testing with a trivial "hello world" MPI application; i.e., one that
>> I had compiled with mpicc and was running with "mpirun -np 2 --mca btl
>> openib hello". Hence, I was testing against installed trees of Open MPI.
>> I took care to "rm -rf" the installation tree before testing each so that
>> there would be no kruft left from prior installs.
>
> OK, I can only assume that with 1.5.22, some code links against
> libibverbs, or loads it earlier at runtime, so that the symbol is
> present. In any case I wonder why mthca.so isn't linked directly
> against libibverbs (maybe useful to suggest that to upstream).

I'm not sure. I think it's a plugin; I'll ask.

> To find out the culprit, here's a couple of quick (well) ways:
> diff build-with-lt1.5/Makefile build-with-lt2.1a/Makefile
>
> and look for differences in library link variables. Otherwise, the
> config.log outputs should give clues.

I did that early in the ticket and didn't see much of a difference.
However, while typing this, Gleb just replied about RTLD_GLOBAL. I'll go
comment on that...

> To give you some more hints for possible causes: ompi_info could have a
> different set of RPATH entries, or different NEEDED libraries than your
> test executable; if any of those cause libibverbs.so to be loaded, then
> the symbol would be visible already. Maybe your test executables even
> have different RPATHs or NEEDED libs (find out with 'objdump -p' and
> ldd)?
>
>> I've attached 2 tarballs to the bug (you have to go to the URL of the bug
>> to get them; they are not included in the mails):
>
> If there are tarballs available at
> http://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/334, then I'm too blind to find
> them. Would that be elsewhere?

It's because I'm a bozo and forgot to attach them. They're now near the top
of the ticket in the "Attachments" section. Sorry about that...

    http://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/334

Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems