From: Adrian Knoth (adi_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-20 04:11:51

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 10:05:05PM +0200, Adrian Knoth wrote:

Hi,

> The source is shared via svn, so it's for sure all are using the
> same code.

> 2. If compiling inside my directory layout, the build
>
> a) changes the following two files in trunk/src/
>
> adi_at_ten:~/trunk/src$ svn st
> M opal/util/show_help_lex.c
> M opal/util/keyval/keyval_lex.c
>
> b) fails to complete (see attachment), the errors are all
> related to lex.

We've solved this bug and it is not OMPI-related.

The long story:

Whenever an .l-file is newer than its corresponding .c-file, it
is generated by a rule from our toplevel Makefile.

svn changes the c/m-time, so flex is called, and probably due to
disabled autoconf-tools, this call is done with wrong parameters.

The question why this behaviour was only seen on some of my
hosts is even weirder: The svn checkout generates timestamps.
If you checkout to an ext2/ext3-filesystem, everything works,
but the failing hosts all use xfs.

We believe that xfs has a higher resolution for timestamps,
so the age of corresponding .l- and .c-files differ for
some value of a very small delta, thus forcing to rerun
flex and breaking the code.

Our fix is quite simple: we touch the .c-files whenever there
are .c-files belonging to existing .l-files. Obviously, the
c-files are now "newer" and regeneration is prevented.

Sorry for inconvenience.

--
mail: adi_at_[hidden]  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver
Idiot. Versager. Was für Luschen laufen heutzutage eigentlich im Usenet