From: Patrick Geoffray (patrick_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-28 13:23:04

Josh Aune wrote:
> I am writing up some interconnect/network debugging software that is
> centered around ompi. What is the best set of functions to use to get
> the best bandwidth and latency numbers for openmpi and why? I've been

You mean MPI functions or internal ompi functions ? For MPI functions,
it depends of what you are looking for. Send/recv is fine but it does
not show the overlap capability. You would need to do something smarter
with Isend/Irecv/Wait for that (Sandia has a nice bench that they should
release soon). You may also want to measure the penalty for unexpected
messages, the host CPU overhead and the ability to progress.

All of these metrics are measured by existing benchmarks, do you want to
write one that covers everything or something like IMB ?

Patrick

--
Patrick Geoffray
Myricom, Inc.