From: Ralf Wildenhues (Ralf.Wildenhues_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-23 05:05:49

Hi Brian,

* Brian Barrett wrote on Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 06:53:12PM CET:
> On Jan 22, 2006, at 2:34 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Brian Barrett wrote on Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:53:41PM CET:
> >> It's the thread that never ends... :)

Hehe.

> > Which systems' m4 is capable of translating the configury but does not
> > ignore unquoted [eval]? (See comment in ompi_get_version.m4.)
>
> I was actually going to ask you about that -- that comment came from
> your original patch.

Not really: it's been in config/ompi_get_version.m4 before, I just
conserved it.

> I was under the impression that AC actually
> required GNU m4 these days. At least, Autoconf's configure complains
> quite loudly when I build on Solaris or AIX and forget to have a GNU
> m4 build in my path. I've always operated under the assumption
> developers had to have GNU m4, as I couldn't see how they built AC
> otherwise.

I know that some BSD versions try to use their m4 for autotools.
At least OpenBSD has some patches in their ports to not disallow
it. Since I have little experience as to how far this actually
works, I figured to rather not remove the comment. I'd really
like to know about systems and hear about experience with non-GNU
m4 and autotools, though. If it's easy to keep them compatible
with it, I believe we should not hinder it.

Cheers,
Ralf