From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-19 12:26:44

On Jan 18, 2006, at 2:12 PM, Luke Schierer wrote:

> If we compile openmpi with support for posix threads (./configure
> --prefix=/usr/local --enable-mpi-threads --with-threads=posix), mpi
> hangs even with simple commands like
>
> mpiexec --host localhost --np 1 hostname
>
> lock up, and have to be killed. If we compile without the --with-
> threads=posix,
> it works fine. We've tried this with both 1.0.1 and 1.0.2a3 on a
> CentOS
> release 4.2 install (CentOS is the same as Redhat, built from the
> same sources,
> just without the trademarked name and the support), and on a Debian
> unstable install. Does anyone have any ideas on getting openmpi to
> work with posix thread support?

It looks like there was an inadvertent double-lock in the startup
sequence for the standard I/O forwarding in our subversion branch for
the 1.0 releases. I'm not sure how the problem snuck into the
release branch, but it has been fixed. You can either get an SVN
checkout of the 1.0 branch, get the nightly tarball build tomorrow,
wait for us to release Open MPI 1.0.2, or apply the attached patch to
the v1.0.1 tarball.

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett