From: Brian Barrett (brbarret_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-05 10:26:58

On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:22 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> * Craig Rasmussen wrote on Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 05:45:55PM CET:
>>
>> The CCA people seemed to be worried that there was a long dead time
>> between releases and were wondering if they should give up on
>> autoconf
>> and move to something else (cmake). I love (to hate) autoconf and
>> was
>> hoping that it wasn't destined for the bit bucket. But since you all
>> aren't worried, I won't be either.
>
> Are the improvements/bugfixes you/the CCA people need already in CVS
> Autoconf? In other words, is it a new release you are in need for, or
> missing features or bugs?

For Open MPI, I can think of a couple of things that I know have been
mentioned in the past on the AC list, but I don't know if they are in
CVS or not:

  - Make AC_HELP_STRING count characters correctly when quadrigraphs ;).
  - Include one of the AC_PROG_OBJC (and friends) macro sets - I
thought at
    one time, there was even such a thing in AC's CVS, although now I
can't
    find it.

There are annoyances with AC, but generally it seems to work, so I
never really cared much about their glacier speed release process...

Brian

--
   Brian Barrett
   Open MPI developer