From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-28 01:26:29

The latest set of changes for the detection of the compiler TRUE value
seems to work fine for g77 but not for the newest GNU fortran compiler
gfortran. Digging a little bit into the gfortran mailing list, I found a
thread about this issue (quite recent only few months old). After debating
over the Fortran language and GNU point of view, they decided that the
default conversion between INTEGER and LOGICAL is a bad idea (even if it's
supported by other compilers). Here is the link to the full discussion on
the gfortran ML (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/fortran/2005-05/msg00325.html).

This implicit conversion (LOGICAL to INTEGER) is used on the patch when
write use the 'I5' to print out the value of the LOGICAL as an int.

Now, as far as I remember about my classes of F77 there is no casting
operators and no implicit casting is allowed. So the way we detect the
value of .TRUE. is not correct even if it's accepted by some compilers. I
modify the config/f77_get_value_true.m4 file to (*I hope*) a slightly more
F77 friendly version. The patch is attached to the email.

I'm waiting for comments before committing.

   Thanks,
     george.

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite
hope."
                                   Martin Luther King