From: Ralph H. Castain (rhc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-15 09:12:38

Yo folks

While I generally find the new build methodology (i.e., reducing the
number of makefiles) has little impact on me, I have now encountered
one problem that causes a significant difficulty. In trying to work
on a revised data packing system for the orte part of the branch, I
now find that I cannot compile and debug the dps *until* I have
completely revised all the rest of the system that uses it. In other
words, having made a change to the dps, I first have to go through
every function that uses it and make the tree conform BEFORE I can
even begin to debug and test the revisions in the dps itself.

The problem this creates is that - unless I am absolutely correct in
my first iteration on the changes - I find myself repeatedly going
through the tree, modifying the API calls into the dps, getting
everything to compile, then trying the dps, .....discovering that I
need to make a change, going through the entire tree to modify
everything again, trying the change,.....

You get the picture. Frankly, from what I'm seeing, I am not sure the
changed build system is worth the lost productivity. It works fine if
you are only making small changes - but in cases like I'm currently
in, it actually severely impacts productivity.

Perhaps an option to create a local makefile would help? Not sure if
that is possible, but it sure would ease my pain!

Ralph