From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-24 11:43:38

Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> Another note.. I think I may have had some problems because I built with
> 'make -j16'.. has anyone else tried parallel make builds?

I am jumping into this thread late -- but FWIW:

1. Yes, we build VPATH (with both relative and absolute flavors) every
night. So the build works fine. If gdb can't find stuff, that's a
different issue -- I don't know if the linker stores VPATH information
properly for debuggers to find files properly or not (this is part of
the Automake magic that we rely on).

2. Yes, we do parallel builds all the time (and every night).

3. I committed the ddt and show_help fixes to the v1.0 branch this morning.

So neither of #1 or #2 should be part of your problem. However, you
*do* need to be careful about using one and only one installation. At
least one of your error messages made it look like you were mixing
multiple installations, and/or not re-compiling/re-linking OMPI and/or
your application properly:

-----
troy_at_octeropt:/usr/src/ompi-buildtest$ /usr/local/bin/mpirun -np 2
hostname
/usr/local/bin/mpirun: Symbol `opal_event_lock' has different size in
shared object, consider re-linking
-----

This is a canonical example of compiling/linking against one version of
a library, and then running with a different one (i.e., one with a
different symbol size than the application was originally linked against).

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project