Hi all -
I made yet another round of changes to the build system this
weekend. The goal was to improve the build time for Open MPI. This
improvement should offer speedups for autogen, configure, and build.
I reduced the number of Makefiles produced by configure (and
therefore the number of Makefile.in files generated by Automake), by
using some interesting include features of Automake. Rather than
building support libraries in each directory, everything is directly
folded into the project-level (opal,orte,ompi) library. The
advantage is faster build time. The disadvantage is that you can no
longer run "make" in ompi/proc (for instance).
There is still one improvement along these lines that we can make.
Currently, we create a Makefile in both <project>/mca/<framework> and
<project>/mca/<framework>/base. It should be possible to eliminate
the one in base, reducing the number of Makefiles created even
further. But I ran out of time this weekend, so it's going to have
to wait a bit.
Open MPI developer