On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:20:57PM -0400, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> >> Of course, the 1.0 nightly for tomorrow morning will not have the fix
> >> just yet.
> > Thanks. With the following patchs and passing
> > --disable-pretty-print-stacktrace to configure I was able to get truck
> > at rev 7709 to build. I haven't done any testing yet, but that's a
> > good
> > first step.
> Can you elaborate on why you needed that? If there's a problem with
> the stacktrace stuff on BSD, I'd like to make it either disable by
> default or fix whatever is required to work properly on BSD.
There were a bunch of undefined symbols that I didn't track down.
Hopefully there's just a missing header file. I need to dig into it
more. I just disabled it because I was hoping that would be the only
issue. It wasn't but, I had stop working before I could try again
with stack traces enabled.
> > The f77_get_fortran_handle_max.m4 change is because FreeBSD's eval
> > appears to use ints internally so they overflow to negative numbers and
> > cause problems. Fortunatly, they roll back over once properly escaped.
> I don't quite understand this -- are you saying that $ompi_fint_max
> becomes a negative number after all the *2's, and then when we escape
> it and subtract one, it becomes positive? (ditto for ompi_cint_max)
On FreeBSD, eval is using 32-bit signed numbers internally on i386 (it
looks like it uses longs in general, but I haven't tested on a 64-bit
machine yet). This means that when you compute 2^31 you get INT_MAX + 1
which is negative. Subtracting one gives INT_MAX so you get the right
value despite the sign weirdness. Assuming I'm correct about longs
being used, we'll also be OK on 64-bit machines even if this code is
used to compute the maximum value of a 64-bit signed integer. It won't
work for unsigned numbers on either system though.
Any statement of the form "X is the one, true Y" is FALSE.
PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529 9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4
- application/pgp-signature attachment: stored