From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-17 09:11:19

(composing this in an airport on Saturday; may not actually be sent
until Monday or so)

-32766 is Open MPI's value for MPI_UNDEFINED. This is what is returned
when there are no active requests in the array that is passed to
MPI_TESTSOME (see MPI-1.1:.

Just to verify that this behavior isn't a bug, can you confirm some
things:

- is count > 1?

- if more than one request finished in that single call to MPI_TESTSOME
where completed was returned with a value of 1 (e.g., multiple requests
in your array turned into MPI_REQUEST_NULL), then this is a bug --
i.e., completed should return an accurate value.

On Sep 16, 2005, at 8:45 PM, Greg Watson wrote:

> Just for a change, I don't have a build problem!
>
> However, I have a question about the MPI_Testsome() call. I'm using
> MPI_Testsome() to check the completion status of a number of
> outstanding ISend() requests. I'm doing something like this:
>
> int outstanding;
>
> main()
> {
> tids = (int *)malloc(sizeof(int) * count);
> stats = (MPI_Status *)malloc(sizeof(MPI_Status) * count);
> reqs = (MPI_Request *) malloc(sizeof(MPI_Request) * count)
>
> do_sends();
>
> outstanding = count;
>
> while (outstanding > 0)
> check_completed();
> }
>
> do_sends()
> {
> for (i = 0; i < count; i++)
> MPI_ISend(buf, len, MPI_CHAR, i, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &reqs[i]);
> }
>
> check_completed()
> {
> int completed;
>
> if (MPI_Testsome(count, reqs, &completed, tids, stats) !=
> MPI_SUCCESS) {
> printf("error in testsome\n");
> exit(1);
> }
> outstanding -= completed;
> }
>
> The thing is, MPI_Testsome() returns with completed = 1 the first
> time I call it, then completed = -32766 the second time I call it. It
> always returns MPI_SUCCESS though.
>
> Does anyone know what's going on? Am I doing something dumb?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Greg

{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project