From: Ferris McCormick (fmccor_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-12 14:04:56

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 13:34 -0500, Brian Barrett wrote:
> Ok, I see what's happening, although I'm not sure the two problems
> are actually related. The first is that the component to provide
> high resolution timer support on Linux is disabling itself because:
>
> 1) it doesn't know how to figure out the clock rate of the CPU
> 2) there's no assembly for reading a CPU counter on SPARC chips
>
> The only reliable way to get CPU frequency is reading /proc/cpuinfo,
> and for Linux, each architecture seems to have a different format.
> So that part's covered with the information provided below. Now I
> just need to figure out how to get cycle counts out of a SPARC. So
> much easier on Solaris ;).
>
> Brian

Some information that might help:
The SB1000 is a (2x900MHz) Ultrasparc III, the second system is a
(2x400MHz) Ultrasparc II. The SB1000 is well over twice as fast as the
U2.

Here is a (2x450MHz) Ultrasparc II (U60 system):
fmccor_at_antaresia openmpi-1.0a1r7305 [33]% cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu : TI UltraSparc II (BlackBird)
fpu : UltraSparc II integrated FPU
promlib : Version 3 Revision 29
prom : 3.29.0
type : sun4u
ncpus probed : 2
ncpus active : 2
Cpu0Bogo : 897.84
Cpu0ClkTck : 000000001ad2f5d5
Cpu2Bogo : 897.84
Cpu2ClkTck : 000000001ad2f5d5
MMU Type : Spitfire
State:
CPU0: online
CPU2: online

I think what you need to look at is the 'Cpu?ClkTck' values, if
900 --> 0000000035a4e900
450 --> 000000001ad2f5d5
400 --> 0000000017d746a8
is useful.

If you need more, you can try joining #gentoo-sparc on IRC freenode and
explaining exactly what you need; there are people there who probably
can help. At this point, though, I am giving you more than I know,
which can always be misleading.

> > Here's /proc/cpuinfo from the SB1000:
> > =====================================
> > fmccor_at_polylepis AGT [93]% cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > cpu : TI UltraSparc III (Cheetah)
> > fpu : UltraSparc III integrated FPU
> > promlib : Version 3 Revision 13
> > prom : 4.13.0
> > type : sun4u
> > ncpus probed : 2
> > ncpus active : 2
> > Cpu0Bogo : 598.01
> > Cpu0ClkTck : 0000000035a4e900
> > Cpu1Bogo : 598.01
> > Cpu1ClkTck : 0000000035a4e900
> > MMU Type : Cheetah
> > State:
> > CPU0: online
> > CPU1: online

> > Other failing system:
> > fmccor_at_lacewing openmpi-1.0a1r7305 [96]% cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > cpu : TI UltraSparc II (BlackBird)
> > fpu : UltraSparc II integrated FPU
> > promlib : Version 3 Revision 19
> > prom : 3.19.0
> > type : sun4u
> > ncpus probed : 2
> > ncpus active : 2
> > Cpu0Bogo : 799.53
> > Cpu0ClkTck : 0000000017d746a8
> > Cpu1Bogo : 799.53
> > Cpu1ClkTck : 0000000017d746a8
> > MMU Type : Spitfire
> > State:
> > CPU0: online
> > CPU1: online

Regards,

--
Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor_at_[hidden]>
Developer, Gentoo Linux (Sparc, Devrel)