From: Brad Penoff (penoff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-02 19:17:17

hey Jeff/Galen,

Thanks to both of you for helping answer our questions, both on and off
the list. Currently, we're doing a lot of writing trying to focus on MPI
implementation design strategies, so this has helped us certainly;
hopefully others too.

On our end, generally, we've been trying to push as much functionality
down to the transport (we have some info on our webpage :
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/labs/dsg/mpi-sctp/ or you can hear me talk at SC|05 )
where as your approach is to bring functionality up and manage it within
the middleware (obviously you do a lot of other neat things like thread
safety and countless other things that are really impressive). With
respect to managing interfaces in the middleware, I understand it buys you
some generality though since channel bonding (for TCP) and concurrent
multipath transfer (for SCTP) aren't available for mVAPI, Open IB, GM, MX,
etc.

Already, I think it's cool to read about OpenMPI's design; in the future,
it will be cooler to hear if pulling so much functionality up to the
middleware has any performance drawbacks from having to do so much
management (so comparing for example, a setup with two NICs using OpenMPI
striping to that of a thinner middleware that has the same setup but uses
channel bonding). From the looks of it, your Euro PVM/MPI paper is going
to tell about the low cost of software components; I'm just curious of the
costs of even having this management functionality in the middleware in
the first place; time will tell!

Thanks again for all your answers,

brad