From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-01 05:56:03

On Sep 1, 2005, at 12:37 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>> I trace this one as far as I could. And the results are mostly
>> unexpected.
>> On some of the clusters it compiles without any problems and on some
>> others it doesn't. The difference is ... if there is an ltdl.h
>> installed
>> in the system directories. I don't think that's the expected behavior
>> for
>> the compilation, if we have our own ltdl.h file why should we use the
>> system wide one ...
>
> This is usually up to the user's choice at some point (I don't know
> about OpenMPI with that respect).

FWIW, the reason we did this (force the use of our included ltdl.h vs.
any potentially-installed ltdl.h) is that we *need* to use the included
libltdl (and therefore its matching ltdl.h) because older versions are
buggy and don't support the functionality that we need.

Unfortunately, many Linux distros (and other OSs) include such older
versions of the ltdl package, so we have to resort to this kind of
stuff to absolutely ensure that ours is the one that is used.

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} The Open MPI Project