From: George Bosilca (bosilca_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-31 23:49:48

Now I see the reason behind this change. Anyway, few month ago we decide
to switch the compilation process, and to modify all the files in order to
start all the #include directives with the full path of the include files
(starting the main components top directories). Personally, I prefer to
keep this rule for all things inside, libltdl included. Later, when the
libtool-2.x will became available we can add a define in the ompi_config.h
that will trigger the correct include.

If we provide a ltdl.h file and finally the compilation use the one from
/usr/include that's really confusing. Look to me like random behaviour
depending on the willingness of the system administrator (if he/she
install it or not in the system directories). I think we correct way to do
it is either to use the one that we provide or to don't provide it if
there is another alternative.

  Thanks,
    george.

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

> * George Bosilca wrote on Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 06:27:27AM CEST:
> > I trace this one as far as I could. And the results are mostly unexpected.
> > On some of the clusters it compiles without any problems and on some
> > others it doesn't. The difference is ... if there is an ltdl.h installed
> > in the system directories. I don't think that's the expected behavior for
> > the compilation, if we have our own ltdl.h file why should we use the
> > system wide one ...
>
> This is usually up to the user's choice at some point (I don't know
> about OpenMPI with that respect).
>
> > For some component it work as expected because on the revision 7106 the
> > -I$(top_srcdir)/opal/libltdl has been added to the AM_CPPFLAGS in the
> > Makefile.am. As most of our code use components there is a dependency
> > between nearly every file in the ompi source code and the ldtl.h file.
> > Having to modify all the Makefile.am is a herculean task ...
>
> Ah, ok, I was blind then, in thinking only the parts that compiled over
> here used ltdl.h. There are a couple of ways to add include paths to
> many Makefile.am's: You could leverage config/Makefile.options, and set
> a default value for AM_CPPFLAGS (surely you have to change the
> Makefile.am's once to only add to AM_CPPFLAGS afterwards; or, maybe
> better, to add some other variable CPPFLAGS_LTDL set in
> Makefile.options).
>
> But surely, once the work has to be done. I suggested that change
> because before, the code would've broken with Libtool-2.x anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Ralf

"We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite
hope."
                                  Martin Luther King