From: Brad Penoff (penoff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-26 16:52:36

Greetings,

I was just curious about the distinction between the pml, bml, and btl
layers within OpenMPI and was wondering if there was any place (other than
the code ;-) where I could read about the design decisions. Any pointers?

Particularly, I'm just curious about the difference between pml-bml-btl
and the old pml-ptl (as described in your TEG paper) and why changes
were made. I'm also trying to understand the differences between this
approach and LAM's RPI as well as the device-channel distinction made in
MPICH2; could anyone recommend something I could read or give me a brief
description here to satisfy my curiosities?

Thanks,
brad