From: Ralf Wildenhues (Ralf.Wildenhues_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-26 11:19:28

* Troy Benjegerdes wrote on Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 04:18:06PM CEST:

> Did you manage to get this working on a debian system with just the
> newer version of libtool? Jeff suggests I build libtool and all the
> other autotools as well, but I'd like to see if I can avoid that, and
> just update libtool.

If you want to update libtool alone (and thus have it in a different
$prefix than the other autotools), you need to help aclocal to find
the new libtool macro files.
- either: everywhere where
   aclocal
  is executed in autogen.sh, you replace it with
   aclocal -I$prefix_of_libtool_installation/share/aclocal
- or: in the normal directory where aclocal searches, add a file named
  "dirlist" which lists other directories to be searched. Note however,
  that _these_ directories are searched _after_ the normal one, so if
  you have libtool macros in both, a mixup will occur and you'll only
  get angry. :)

(It would be good to augment the autogen.sh script so that it honored
a setting like ACLOCAL="path/to/aclocal -I ..." (in Bourne shell speak)
and similarly for AUTOMAKE, AUTOCONF, LIBTOOLIZE).

Cheers,
Ralf